Nelson County, Virginia Elections

Military & Overseas Voting

If you’re a United States citizen living overseas as a civilian or in the military, there are several ways you to request, receive, and return your ballot.

Request a Ballot

Even if you were registered to vote in the US, to vote when living or serving overseas, you’ll need to complete and return one of the following forms by October 12, 2021.

Receive Your Ballot

45 days before November general elections, we’ll begin sending you a blank ballot either electronically or via mail at the address you provided.

If you completed all required steps but have not received your ballot 30 days before an election, submit a completed Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

Complete and Send in Your Ballot

Overseas voters have a number of options for returning completed ballots:

Local Mail

If you have a reliable mail service to the United States, put your ballot in the mail with appropriate international postage.

U.S. Embassy Diplomatic Pouch

You or another person can drop off your ballot request (FPCA) or completed ballot at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for return to the United States. It must be addressed to your local election officials and have sufficient U.S. postage, or be in a postage-paid envelope. A postage-paid envelope is available on the FVAP website. Contact the U.S. embassy voting assistance officer or visit the embassy’s website for specific instructions.