Registering is the first step to voting. You can check your registration status, update your registration, or register for the first time using the resources below.
Who Can Register to Vote
Requirements for registering to vote in Nelson County:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes).
- Be a U. S. Citizen.
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election).
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored.
When Should I Update My Registration?
You’ll need to update your registration when:
- You move
- You change your name
- You have another change to your registration information
The process to update your registration is the same as the process to register for the first time. You can update your registration online or by mail.
Deadline to Register or Update Your Registration
In Virginia, the deadline to register to vote is 22 days before election day. That means the deadline to register for the November 7, 2023 General Election is Monday, October 16, 2023. Please register early!
What’s Protected Voter Status?
Voters facing life-threatening situations may qualify for protected voter status. To have protected voter status you must have a PO Box in Virginia and be:
- Active or retired members of Law Enforcement or a member of their household (LEO);
- An individual who has a Court Protective Order or a member of their household (CPO);
- An individual who has been Threatened or Stalked or a member of their household;
- An Approved Foster Parent or a member of their household (AFP); or
- A person who participates in the Address Confidentiality Program or a member of their household (ACP)
If you do not have a PO Box in Virginia, you cannot claim Protected Status.